Friday, November 4, 2011

My cool job.

I love sports. It's what I do.
Since I was little, I've always been daddy's little boy when it comes to sports. From the age of 5, I've been my dad's fantasy football assistant, a position I still proudly hold today. Sports have always been a huge part of my life, and a big part of our family. My sisters and I all played nearly every sport, our dad was our coach, mom was the official scorekeeper, and grandma was always in the stands. Sports taught me a lot about life: work hard and you'll get results.
Me, my sisters & friends at our annual alumni basketball game.
It was always my mission to somehow make a living out of sports. When I was in school, my plan was to become a sports reporter. The thought of watching a game and wondering why in the hell a player did something, and having the opportunity to ask him or her what they were thinking directly afterwards sounded pretty awesome. I was so sure that was what I wanted to do that I completed several internships for sports talk radio and local tv stations preparing myself for my dream career. I got a ton of great opportunities when I landed an internship at KGO/ABC 7 in San Francisco my junior year of college. They let me do it all, including interview players before and after games down on the field. It was always on my bucket list to touch a professional playing field, and here I was, down there everyday. It was and still is awesome.
Future reporter me on the field at a 49ers game.
After graduating, I sent out resume tape after resume tape to any and every local television sports department that was hiring. After months of mailing out a dozen batches of fresh DVDs, the whole concept of being a sports reporter started to lose its luster. I didn't want to move across the country to a tiny little town and get paid next to nothing to work nights, weekends and holidays. I'm a family person, and I don't want to miss a single birthday, graduation, or baby shower. I want to be close to the people I love and experience life with them, not away from them. Scratch the whole reporter idea. So I made the move to the other side of the camera.
The view from the broadcast booth at Oakland Coliseum.
Even before graduating from college, ABC7 made me the first female sports producer and I was producing the 3-minute sports hits in the weekend nightly newscasts. I got a rush from sitting in the chair during live television, knowing that everything on the screen was happening on my cue. I found it insane that people trusted me with the on air product at such a young age and in such a big market, so it really made me think this was something I could be good at. Never thought I'd still be doing it today! I eventually took a full time position at Comcast SportsNet Bay Area, which is where I currently work.
Field producing at an Oakland A's game.
As an associate producer, I write highlights (think ESPN style), produce feature stories, and get to field produce at our local teams' games (49ers, Raiders, A's, Giants, Sharks, Warriors, Stanford & Cal). The Bay Area is one of the largest sports markets in the country, so we stay busy year round, even with the current NBA lockout going on. This year I got to produce a series called "All A's" which was about, you guessed it, the Oakland A's. As a lifelong A's fan, this was an awesome opportunity. I've gotten to do some pretty cool things the last few years, with one of my favorites being field producing at the "Moneyball" movie premiere.
A behind-the-scenes look at Brad Pitt during his red carpet media appearance.
Just me after the media frenzy.
Sometimes I forget just how cool my job really is. Getting paid to watch sports is pretty darn amazing for a sports fan. And my fiance, also a lifelong athlete, loves that I can talk sports with the best of 'em and that not only do I not mind watching games, I prefer to watch games over most other television. I also love the strong-willed and sports-savvy girls I work with!
My Comcastic girlies, that also double as lunch dates and my go-to girls :)
One thing I'm not head over heels for is the hours. I work from 2pm to 11pm everynight, since sports usually happen in the evening. And unfortunately there are no holidays in television. Sometimes I dream of cooking dinner at home with Corey, and watching my shows live (tivo and I have become BFF's over the years), and being in bed before midnight. When I tell people what I do, the usual response is somewhere a long the lines of "that's the most amazing job ever!" which more often than not, is true. I am just thankful that I was able to stick to my childhood ambition of making a living out of sports. I love sports, and I'm proud to say it's what I do.
Are you making a living doing something you love? I'd love to hear about what you guys do!

19 comments:

  1. That is so awesome that you are doing something you love, good for you! Not too many people get that chance. I am trying to do what I love. My favorite quote is "do what you love, love what you do." :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to know that you love what you're doing! You've worked hard to get where you are and didn't give up - not everyone can say they worked hard and stayed with it all to get the job they wanted. I loved the pictures too!

    Hope you have a fabulous weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!!! What an awesome job!!!!! That is so great that you love what you do :) Not many have that blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! We are like the same person...just across the country! My dream job is to be a sideline reporter but I don't think that's going to happen anymore. I would LOVE to do something with sports though. Your job seems so amazing...even with the long hours. I would trade with you in a heartbeat. Good for you for sticking with what you love! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice job! Isn't it fun to apply your major to something! I did the BECA and worked in production, chyron and now in sales! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your job sounds soo interesting, love hearing about what other people do for a living!!! You make my Kroger grocery Ads seem kinda pathetic lol!! But i know how you feel about those hours, our hours used to be more like that and hated not being home at night!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your job sounds awesome! Good for you for doing what you love. Plus I always like to see women in the sports industry- it bugs me when guys act like women know nothing about sports. I'm a big college football fan myself--I'll be in the Bay Area next weekend for the Oregon/Stanford football game. :) I currently work in advertising and it's not for me, so I am back in school getting my teaching certificate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Stephanie!!! You are amazing! It's so uplifting (and inspiring!) to read about someone who loves her job so much!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. right now my only job is being a stay at home but I have always dreamed of working with/for a sports team! I was always into sports too and when I call for my dad my mom says "the son we never had is calling" haha. Jealous of your job, not going to lie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is amazing; I had no idea! That is awesome that you are pursuing your passion for sports!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is great that you are doing your dream job. Not many people on this planet can say that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your job is so cool. I'm a teensy bit jealous. Also, I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Steph!

    I found out about your blog from your guest post over at Coffee at Nordstrom. I loved it by the way! I'm finishing up wedding planning myself...just over a month til our day!! It's so exciting! And I really enjoy what I'm reading over here! I think I'm probably your newest follower! Keep up the good work!

    Check out my blog too! Let me know what you think! [[It's new so I need opinions!]]

    ReplyDelete
  14. Eeeeek! Here's the link! http://sbrittanydawn.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE that you love your job. You deserve this amazing experience/career--good things happen to wonderful, hard-working people like you. What you failed to mention to all your lovely readers who love you is that you climbed up SO quickly--faster than anyone else--because you're that awesome!!! So, stop being humble....you're awesome & Comcast is so lucky to have you & my main man the Harvard grad who I can't remember his name--Eugene?! that's not it...I came across the hierarchy/flow chart you made when you first started a few months ago...LOVE it & all your work stories

    ReplyDelete
  16. omg you have the most awesome job ever! amazing! i can see how it would take a toll on you tho...being a big family person...it would me too. im grabbing your button too!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Steph! I see you're following my blog now! Thanks! Make sure you comment and let me know what you think and how to improve! <3

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have my dream job! Ahh! How awesome are you?!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, I think it's awesome that you are living your dream -- even if the hours are less than favorable. Such an inspiration, good for you! I live in Wisconsin and am a HUGE Green Bay Packer fan, like really huge. lol Superbowl trip again this year?? We will have to see!!

    PS - I am your newest follower! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment! I read every single one and they all mean so much to me!