Tuesday, December 13, 2011

In the kitchen: Potato Soup

I'll be the first to admit, I'm no professional cook.
 While I have my go-to recipes that I've become fairly good at (stuffed bell peppers, enchiladas, and taco salad)... I'm a far cry from Julia Child. It's not that I don't like to cook, because I do. It's that I rarely have the time to cook. I work nights, so if I want to cook a full course meal, I have to start at 11am, which I do when I can. 

This past weekend I took full advantage of some free time and made my first ever homemade soup...and it was delicious, if I do say so myself!

I found this recipe on Pinterest, courtesy of the Mama Loves Food! blog

*Slow Cooker Cheesy Potato Soup*
The picture behind the inspiration. Found on pinterest.
My helper.
Ingredients:
- 5lbs Russet Potatoes, washed but NOT peeled. Diced into 1/2 inch(ish) cubes
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 10 cloves of garlic (you can use whole, crushed, or minced)
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 16 oz cream cheese (I used 8oz regular and 8oz lowfat)
- 1 TBS seasoned salt or all-purpose seasoning

Garnishes:
- Crumbled bacon
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Green onions

Directions:
- Add potatoes, onion, garlic, seasoning and chicken stock to slow cooker.
What the soup looks like in the crock pot. 
- Cook on high for 6 hours or low for 10 hours.
- Remove and puree the garlic cloves (if you used whole cloves) along with 1/2 to 1/3rd of the soup and the cream cheese and then reintroduce to the remainder in the crock pot.
- Stir every 10-15 minutes until soup is well blended.
- Top with your choice of garnishes & serve!


My finished product!
Yields about 10-12 servings. (a.k.a. A LOT! you need at least a 6qt slow cooker)

The above recipe is straight from the Mama Loves Food blog...and I made a couple small changes. I added a few strips of cooked bacon, which I diced. I also added a few handfuls of shredded cheese at the very end to make it nice and cheesy. 

Don't make the mistake I made and not start this soup until 3pm in the afternoon. Corey and I didn't eat dinner until about 10pm! I made an insalata caprese (tomatoes, mozzarella, basil leaves, and oil & vinegar) appetizer to hold us over, which was light and fresh.

For desert, I used up all the apples I had bought at the Farmer's Market that we didn't get around to eating to make an apple crisp from scratch. Find the super easy recipe here. It didn't turn out as picture perfect as my previous apple crisps, but it tasted delicious!

Not gonna lie, I felt pretty darn good about myself after my Suzie homemaker Saturday! It's amazing what you can do when you have the time to do it!
What are some of your go-to recipes?

14 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! Good for you!!!! BUT NOTHING tops your sweet tea. Seriously. I miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you posted this! I am always looking for new crock pot recipes! Hope you are having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, yum! This all looks amazing! I need to try it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks delicious! YUM YUM YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Potato soup is my all time favorite!!
    Want to make me some, mason jar it up, tie it with a pretty red bow and mail it to me?!
    You think I'm kidding..totally not!
    That would be great! Thanks in advance :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have so made this recipe before! I think I may have puréed too much of the soup because it was a little thin for my tastes. However, Derek really liked it so it went in to our recipe vault! It sounded liked you made a 5 star meal :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummmm! I just made that SAME potato soup recipe via Pinterest as well. Great minds think alike ;) I ended up 1/2ing the recipe just because I knew J and I would never eat it all. SO tasty though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh so excited you posted this! I am TOTALLY making this! I just bought a bunch of potatoes with this in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohh I saw the potato soup on Pinterest! I want to try it, especially now that you made it & it turned out so good!! Your apple crisp looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh. All that food sounds and looks delicious! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. that soup looks delicious! i have so many new recipes i have to try!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks so good! Definitely one of my favorite foods, and it's been so cold lately, so soup sounds really good! I think this will be on the menu this week! Thanks for the recipe!

    Lauren
    http://laurensweetnothings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. looks amazing! and with a crockpot? lovely ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment! I read every single one and they all mean so much to me!