Thursday, December 15, 2011

It made me think of...

DMB = my big sis
It happens to me at least 3 or 4 times a day.
I'll be doing something, and either see, hear, or smell something that instantly triggers a memory of something else. For example, I was driving home from work last night when "Crash" by Dave Matthews Band came on and I immediately thought of my big sister. She loves DMB, and it was a connection I made in a millisecond. It made me take inventory of all the small things that I instantly attach to a person, place, memory, or moment. 

-Fruit by the Foot always makes me think of elementary school...when I used to trade my snacks for lunchables. 
-The game Apples to Apples makes me think of all the weekends we've spent in Santa Cruz...staying up all night, laughing til we cry...some of the best times!

-Mint Tea makes me think of going to my grandpa's ocean house when we were little.


-Sunflower seeds make me think of sitting in the stands watching Corey play baseball. I used to eat seeds until my tongue and cheecks started to hurt. I couldn't stop eating them because I was a nervous girlfriend watching my boyfriend pitch!


-The movie "The Big Green" makes me think of my sister Nellie. We love the song in the movie when they are playing in the mud. "I like the silly side up! Baybay!" (probably only she will have any clue what I am talking about!)


-The song "All My Life" by KC & JoJo instantly takes me back to high school.


-Anything St Louis Cardinals/Dallas Cowboys/or Boston Celtics related makes me think of my dad. Actually, a lot makes me think of my dad. He's my best friend.
-The buzzing of a bee instantly makes me think of the time I stepped in a beehive when I was 10 years old and got stung a bunch of times. Yes, I freak out now, at just the site of a bee, let a lone the buzzing in my ear!
-The smell of Polo Sport cologne makes me think of my handsome future husband.
-Sweedish fish (the candy) make me think of my baby sister. I don't eat them, but I always think of her when I see them.
-The cinnamon-apple scent instantly makes me think of christmas and my cozy house. I buy way too many candles in this flavor!


Home cooked meals make me think of my mom. She's the best cook I'll ever know, and I know that for a fact! Also, any Earth, Wind & Fire songs make me think of her too!


-Fog makes me think of when I was younger, playing competitive soccer in the cold with my long sleeves, gloves, and beanie. I hate being cold more than anything!


-Anything Alabama related, including Roll Tide and big, huge Reese's Peanut Butter cups makes me think of my BBF Dayna. 


-Jump houses always make me think of my birthday. I've made jump houses mandatory at my most recent birthday parties, and I plan on making it an annual tradition until I am physically incapable of jumping in the jump house.

I guess when it comes down to it, everything can make you think of something. There are countless songs that take me to a very specific moment, many movies that make me think of a certain events, and many smells that trigger certain thoughts almost immediately. It's all in my memory bank, and I get so excited when they pop up in my daily life. 


What are some things that make you think of a specific time, place or person?

15 comments:

  1. The same thing happens to me.. The littlest thing will remind me of someone or sometime in my life. & I agree with the bounce house.. Since my 21st bday we have been having bounce houses at my bday parties! So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have the world's coolest best friend--YOUR AWESOME DAD!!!! LUCKY!!!! I love this list. You are such a thoughtful person. Something is always reminding me of something else. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do this alll the time! Especially with smells!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do this all the time too!
    Songs remind me of specific people and what I was doing. Pasta (spell and eating it) always reminds me of my family and my mom specifically. :)

    And I just noticed the cute "Christmas decorations" on the golden gate bridge- haha I love* it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that your dad is your best friend- how cool! :)

    Lots of foods/songs take me back. It happens all the time! So crazy how in an instant your mind can be elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man KC & JoJo...when I read that it took me back to High School too! I get this thoughts alot with scents. Like lilacs remind me of summer at my uncles and this certain body spray reminds me of visiting my friend who lived out of town and those few years! so weird how things like that can take you down memory lane!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's amazing how a song, thing, place, etc. can take you back to a particular time. It happens to me all the time! First time I heard "All My Life" by K-Ci and JoJo, I was at my slumber party when I was turning 13 :) I love having such wonderful memories! Oh, and bounce houses are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love when these things happen to me :) I think the holidays have so many things that trigger memories (like every single ornament that hangs on our Christmas trees at my house)!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how you are best friends with your dad, that is so cool and very sweet!! And jumping castles at your birthdays lol, cute and funny ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. For me it's food and songs are HUGE. Reminds me of back in the day at school or a certain part of life. Awwww! Love memories:-)

    http://www.stylesoftamaranicole.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a wonderful post! Made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a great post Steph! I love when something triggers a great memory!! Anytime I see fog...I think of the year I lived n California!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment! I read every single one and they all mean so much to me!