Monday, January 9, 2012

In the Kitchen: Taco Soup

Ever since my good friend Tracy blogged about Taco Soup a couple weeks ago, I've been craving it. Corey and I had a very relaxing weekend, so I decided to put my crockpot to use and try another homemade soup. It turned out delicious!
Image via allrecipes.com
I started with this allrecipes.com Simple Taco Soup recipe but made some changes to make it a more crockpot-friendly version (which requires more liquids). I also used ground turkey instead of ground beef, and left out the corn (Corey and I aren't big fans). So here is what I ended up with:

Ingredients

1.5 pounds ground turkey
1 (1.25 ounce) package mild taco season mix
2 cups water
1 (15 ounce) can mild chili beans, with liquid
1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, with liquid
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (14.5) ounce can diced tomatoes
1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers
1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chilies
1 (1 ounce) package ranch salad dressing mix

Most of the ingredients. I chose low sodium options when available.

Directions

  1. In a large pan, brown ground turkey over medium heat until no longer pink. Add taco seasoning.
  2. Add seasoned meat and all remaining ingredients into the crockpot. Mix well.
  3. Cook on high for 6 hours or low for 8 hours.
  4. Enjoy!

All ingredients in the crockpot.
When soup is ready to be served, top with grated cheese, sour cream, fresh cilantro, and crunchy Santa Fe tortilla strips (pictured below). Also is good served with "scoop" tortilla chips.
The final product.

To go with the soup, I made a fiesta caesar salad (thanks to my friend Marisa for teaching me this simple and delicious recipe!)
*2 heads romaine lettuce, chooped
*1 bottle El Torrito Cilantro Pepita Caesar dressing
*1 package Sante Fe style tortilla strips
*couple handfulls of grated cheese
Tasty tortilla strips and delicious dressing.

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and enjoy!

The meal was a big hit with Corey and his brother. They were so full they couldn't move! And we had plenty leftover for lunch this week.
Easy, quick and delicious!

18 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! I think I will be coming to dinner at your place! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum this looks like such a good meal! I could probably eat my weight in that salad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so making that soup. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. this looks AMAZING!!!

    http://www.angela2bunnie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, looks so good! I will be adding this to a meal plan soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This look so good! love taco soup! I'll have to try your recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! This looks delicious! I love using my Crock Pot...might have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks amazing! I'm going to have to try it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. thats funny I just made it last week!! Mine was quite spicy!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Omg. I just got the rest of the ingredients tonight and plan on making this same exact recipe tomorrow night. Funny I got it from a coworker. :)
    -wHiT

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum... it looks so good steph! I will have to give you my recipe to try out... it's a little different :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. YUM! I'm totally trying this. I've been searching for new soup recipes lately!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yummmmy! Not sure how the heck I could feel so hungry at 9am lol, but I do!! ;) I definitely want to do the Taco Soup now and add in the corn bc it's my fave! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks delicious!! I love allrecipes but I tend to switch a few things up with their recipes too. I hadn't seen this one yet but it's going on my list :) Thanks for sharing pretty girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love anything crockpot! And that salad looks AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Im going to have to try that! And that dressing looks so good!

    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorry to comment again ;) But I tagged you in my post today! Be sure to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my gosh - this looks so yummy! I love tacos ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment! I read every single one and they all mean so much to me!