Wednesday, January 18, 2012

A Life Change.

It is very rare that an opportunity comes along that has the power to completely and instantly change our lives.
This would be one of those moments.

Remember when I told you all about my cool job?
Well, a couple days ago I did something that I never actually thought I could ever bring myself to do. I put in my two week's notice. I know people are going to think I'm crazy because more often than not, when I tell people what I do, the phrase "dream job" always enters the conversation atleast once. And up until this point in my life, it has been my dream job. I mean, who else gets to watch their favorite teams play and get paid for it? Who gets on-field access to every major sporting event in the Bay Area? Who gets to interview Clint Eastwood on the 18th hole at Pebble Beach? What are once-in-a-lifetime opportunites for most have been my livelihood for the past 5 years. And now I am saying goodbye to it.

It seems unimagineable right? I mean, a career in sports is what I always wanted to do with my life. It's what I went to school for. It's what I did all those years of unpaid internships for. It's what I've done my entire adult, professional life. But, as with every great thing, there is always the fine print.

When I first took this job in sports, the general manager gave us an inspiring speech, and something he said never quite clicked with me and my priorities in life. He said that the sports television industry "isn't a job, it's a lifestyle". To this point, it's been a lifestyle that has been challenging, but worth it. I could somehow rationalize every milestone missed, every holiday worked, and every normal night lost. But not anymore.
{via}
I am a family person. Those people mean more to me than anything on this planet. I don't want to miss anything anymore. I don't want to leave home to drive 2 hours to work on Sunday when they are all hanging out, and my mom is cooking a family dinner. I don't want to work the opposite schedule as Corey anymore. I want to be there when my first nephew is born, and I don't want to feel bad about taking 2 or 3 weeks off for my wedding. I have grown up enough to know exactly what I want in my life...and this new opportunity will give me just that.

I have been offered an amazing job at a Public Relations firm that will eventually bring me back home. It allows me to still challenge myself professionally, while letting me be fulfilled personally as well. Is it a little bit out of my comfort zone? Absolutely. Am I looking forward to the challenge? More than you can imagine.
{via}

After years of working nights and weekends, I will finally have the "normal" life I have only dreamed about. I will be able to work my butt off at the office, then go home to cook dinner with Corey and watch Wheel of Fortune and not have to rely on tivo to catch all my favorite shows. These may seem like extremely mundane activities, but to me, they have always been a luxury. 

I am so thankful for every opportunity and adventure I've had in sports television. I will never forget stepping foot on a major league baseball field for the very first time, or the pride I felt when my family would gather round to watch the t.v. debut of one of the shows I produced. But this girl is ready for the next chapter...
{via}
2012 started with the monumental purchase of my very first iPhone...and continues with this life-changing opportunity. I knew I had a good feeling about 2012!

36 comments:

  1. Omg!! Well I am so happy for you!!!!I am a family person too and I couldnt imagine working in weekends and long hours or nights. I wish you the best of luck girl with your new path in life!!!
    Xoxo
    Manda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you for realizing that your dreams can change AND for making your new dream happen! Congrats girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! Hey, everyone wants what they don't have right? So while your job was amazing and great and people would kill for it, they don't know exactly what it's like until they're in your shoes. You have to do what makes you happy :)

    Yay for you and good luck with the new gig!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. You rock for stepping up and changing your career path to what you've wanted! I simply adore you for that! I am rootin' you on girlfriend!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the big move girl! I can totally relate to lots of the things you've been feeling in regards to 'missing out' on important things. Praying this journey takes you where you want it to. Very excited for your new venture!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so excited for you. Your refreshingly upbeat attitude is something I'm glad you're sharing with others. I couldn't be more proud of you for stepping out and doing something scary! You're going to be fantastic, I have ZERO doubt!!! Let's meet for dinner sometime soon!! Or...maybe lunch on a WEEKEND!? What a weird concept. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so exciting and inspiring! Too often we sell ourselves short by not putting our real wants and needs first. Kudos! Best of luck with the change.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Geez, I've been a bit out of the loop! Congratulations on your new job! I can definitely understand why you would want more of a 9-5 job...it's hard working different schedules with your love.

    You'll have all those great memories from that awesome job and hopefully make many new ones!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So excited for you, Steph! Maybe I'll finally see you more in Sac than here in the bay!!! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats! On everything, the changes, the new opportunities, the realizations, and the new goals! All the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on this new path! It's so refreshing to see someone realize that what they love may not be the life they want to live!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so excited for you! I know the memories that you've made at your job will last you a lifetime. It will be fun to look back and say, "hey, I did all those things". Everyone needs a new start sometimes. I know you will do great at your next job! It's easy to take a 9-5 job for granted. I love coming home, having dinner, and watching my favorite shows during the week. Plus, you will have extra time with your man! This will be such a positive change for you!

    I love those 3 pins! I kinda feel like 2012 is the year for changes and looking forward to new and exciting things.

    ReplyDelete
  14. While your job sounds like it was a lot of fun, I understand that the "lifestyle" of a career eventually takes its toll. I am so excited for you to start this new adventure. I hope that it's everything you are looking for and that you find so much happiness in your new schedule. Now maybe we can meet at Momo's one night for drinks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so incredible! I am beyond thrilled for you! You will do awesome at this PR firm! Hope your boss took the "two weeks notice" well! Congrats, lady! You deserve nothing short of the best! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. despite how difficult that must have been to come to the conclusion to leave your dream job it sounds like it is absolutely the right choice for you. and making this decision will sure you far better in the long run than any dream job could as strange as that may sound. you are following your heart and that is worth much more than any dream job could ever give you

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awe hun! I'm in the same boat. I put in my two weeks notice at my job too. That hour long drive TO work and then FROM work just makes it hard to enjoy your day, when it takes so much of it. I wish you the best of luck!
    -wHiT

    ReplyDelete
  18. I already emailed you but I wanted to comment too. Congrats!!!!!

    Tab

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats on your new job!! :) It's sounds like you made the right decision! Will you be working for a private, small firm or a large one?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey that's awesome! What PR firm? Are you headed back to Sacramento!?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm so happy for you! Congratulations on the new job! How exciting that you'll have weekends free! :) You're going to do great! This is going to be so much better, too, after you are married! More relaxing :) Congrats and good luck! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good for you making priorities in your life! What an exciting next step in your life :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good for you! I hope your decision brings your complete and utter peace and joy!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You go girl! There is absolutely nothing better than going home to your husband, cooking dinner and curling up to watch Wheel of Fortune... we do it every night :-) I can't wait to hear all about the new job! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  25. So happy for you!! And also so proud!! :)

    It takes a strong person to willing get out of their comfort zone and take on the new challenges ahead of them. But I know you will be awesome!!

    I understand completely when you say the schedule means the world to you. After working weekends and holidays all through college I realized quickly that I too, could not stand to be away from my family and missing out!!
    happy for you girl! and will be praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Kudos to you for making this difficult decision. I personally would never want to sacrifice time with my family and friends for a job. I already feel like I spend way too much time there! Considering your reasons for quitting, I think you'll remain content with your decision. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am so proud of you! That takes a WHOLE lot of courage to do. However, I'm so with you on family being priority. Let me tell you, you are going to love those glorious hours and the extra time with those you love. I am super excited for you and wish I had the courage to do things like that.

    Good luck at the new job!!! Of course you will rock it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm so glad you stopped by my blog :) You're blog is soooo cute! I look forward to reading more posts!

    I wish you the best with your new chapter in life :)
    Cheers!

    Breanna xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. yayy I am so HAPPY for you!
    I definitely agree with the whole family thing.
    You will be great at whatever you do!
    cheers ;)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I definitely admire you for taking that step!
    Family time is SO important...even if that means being able to come home, cook with your hunny and watch tv. You cherish those things and now you'll get to have those!!

    Excited for your new career path! You're gonna kill it.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Congratulations on this new opportunity! It sounds like it is going to make you really happy, and that is what matters most!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm a little late reading this post, but congrats on the new job opportunity and for being willing to take a risk that's seems like it's going to be SO worth it! Life's too short and family is too great to always be compromising it! You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I am a little late on saying this, but congratulations! Your new opportunity sounds exciting and that is so great that you will have more time with the ones you care about most. I too have a career change coming up (it's been in the making for awhile) and I too am excited to see what the future holds. Good luck and I can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Congratulations on your new job! I'm definitely more of a family person too and DEFINITELY wouldn't want to work the opposite schedule of Brian all the time.

    Lauren
    http://www.laurensweetnothings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment! I read every single one and they all mean so much to me!