Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Thanks for sharing.

A sweet model of sharing. Me? Not so much. {via}

This is an excerpt from a conversation I had with my soon to be brother-in-law, Keith:
Keith: "I'm gonna go to the store to get some ice cream."
Me: "I have some ice cream in the freezer."
Keith: "Ya but I know how you are with your sweets."
He was so right.
{via}
Until this moment, I considered myself a pretty good sharer. Growing up with 3 sisters, it's kinda part of the deal. Our parents and family have always been very good about everything being equal between the 4 of us, but taught us that we always had to share. To this day, I can't eat anything in front of people without offering them some because it makes me feel bad. But when it comes to me and my sweets...that's a different story.

I am somewhat of a sweets snob when it comes to sharing my goods. I have been known to hide candy in odd drawers and cupboards around the house so that Corey won't find it (even though he probably wouldn't eat it if I left it in plain sight). I always notice if there's a scoop or two less of ice cream since the last time I touched it. And missing cookies from the cupboard? Don't even go there.

I don't know why I get so crazy about my favorite things. But stashing our stuff runs in my family. My mom often has to hide candy from dad (who is where I inherited the sweet tooth from), and my sisters have been known to do some hiding of their goods as well. Maybe growing up with so many siblings instilled in us the thought that we had to fight for what we wanted and had to protect what was ours. I still vividly remember how mad I used to get when one of my sisters would ask for a "sip" of my soda and then proceed to gulp half of it down. (which may or may not still happen to this day). 
We may look sweet, but don't even THINK about touching our easter candy!

The purpose of this post is to make myself accountable to the principle of sharing. I vow to not hoard my candy in hidden spots around the apartment, and to not bite Corey's head off when there's an Oreo or two gone. I promise to share   my candy like a normal human being and to not count sips of soda with my sisters. 

When it comes to anything besides sweets, I have no problem sharing.
For some reason, candy makes me crazy. (literally!)
Are you a good sharer? What things don't you like to share?

15 comments:

  1. Haha that's too funny! Part of me wants to keep track, but I realize it's probably better that someone else ate it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the ice cream spoon pic, its soo true.

    I can't think of anything I wouldn't share, but I can be way selfish so I'm sure there is something.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up with three sisters and I was that way over clothes/jewelry/makeup/etc! I got so upset when they didn't ask to use something of mine and still am that way with people. I don't care by any means to share, I just want to be asked first! I gotcha girl ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. cutest picture ever!!! Dont you love those times!!

    http://www.angela2bunnie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm the exact same way with chocolate. I will share anything of mine with you but ask for my chocolate and you will die. My family is well aware of this fact as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha this was cute :)
    I know the feeling, at times I have had to hide a block of my fave chocolate from my kids!! They always sniff it out though lol
    Your plan obviously works, or does it? Maybe Corey replaces things after he eats it??

    ReplyDelete
  7. My sisters and I are the same way. it's horrible that we cannot share with each other, but it honestly has gotten better as we have grown up.

    XO Lourdes

    ReplyDelete
  8. YOU SOUND LIKE ME. lol
    I'm not a huge candy fan, but you try to take a bite of any of my sweets, you'll get slapped on your hand! lol Ry is very much aware of this and thinks that it is funny and will try to eat the whole thing. Definitely NOT funny!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is SO me! I am so protective over my food! One time at the beach with Trey's family, I had left overs from eating out the night before and I had been so excited to eat them again for lunch the next day (crazy, I know!). Well lunch time comes and I find that his Dad ate my food! I got SO mad and even cried... and my father-in-law still won't let me live it down to this day, ha! They learned not to mess with my food!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Since I'm an only child, I'm not the world's best at sharing. I've gotten better in my old age though, haha! My boyfriend is very good at sharing though, so that has helped me out a bit. I'm learning! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hahaha- I love that last pic of you and your sibs w/ the Easter candy! I think I'm good at sharing in general... but there ARE things I get stingy about. My Mac computer for instance... I get protective when hubby uses it lol. I'm always all "You have your own computer!!!" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used to hide things ALL the time from my sister! I am glad to know that I wasn't the only sister that did it! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The last pic is awesome and I need those spoons.

    ReplyDelete
  14. hahaha!! You always seemed to share your sweets with me when we were in school ;) Love that pic of you and your sisters!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment! I read every single one and they all mean so much to me!