Saturday, March 31, 2012

Doggy Downer

My poor dog :(
On Thursday, Mr. Colt had to undergo his second TPLO surgery. This is a procedure I've become all to familiar with. Basically, it's a leg surgery where a metal plate and screws are inserted to stabilize the joint. In other words, no fun for Mr. Colt for 4 months.
And they have to shave his poor leg :(

Two years ago Colt and I were outside playing soccer when he turned wrong, whined a little, then wouldn't touch his back leg to the ground. So we paid a boat load of money for surgery #1. At the time, the doggy doctor let me know that once one leg is operated on, it would be very likely that he would need the other one done down the road. We hoped for the best, and all was well for a while. Fast forward to this past Christmas. When Colt gets excited, sometimes he runs laps around our long dining room table. During one of his excited spells, he turned wrong again, yelped, and wouldn't touch his other leg to the ground. And now here we are, 2 days post surgery #2.

It makes me so sad to see my happy boy so depressed. With all the drugs he's on for the pain and swelling, he's pretty out of it. It's stressful trying to keep him from walking and puting any weight on his leg, but he's a dog! He does pretty good at gimping around without puting too much weight on it, but he doesn't understand that he can't do all the things he usually does for a while.

I already know I am going to be the most uptight and stressed out mom, because I was a mess this past week during his surgery. He's like my child! But hopefully he'll be back to normal in no time. We're on the road to recovery! Before you know it, it'll be summer and he'll be swimming laps in the pool!
P.S. I'm going to try and get back to regular blogging again, for real this time! I miss all my blog buddies!

9 comments:

  1. Aw I hope Colt heals up quickly! I too need to be better at blogging. :) Hope all is well with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww! I literally teared up reading this post! Poor Colt!! I hope he feels better and back to himself soon. It's so hard seeing your dog go through something like that. They really are like children!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor baby! I have a part-rottie dog and she's the apple of my eye! I truly hope that he heals and recovers fast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww- how pitiful! He does look so sad in those pics :( I hope his recovery is quick and easy.

    Miss ya in the blogging world!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor Colt! It's hard seeing your babies in pain! :( Hope he makes a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww! So sorry to hear about Colt! Good thing he's got you and your family to care for him through the recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your poor little boy, I hope his recovery goes quickly.

    And totally blog regularly, please!!!


    Tab
    my-cliffnotes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor puppers!! I hate seeing dogs in pain too. I hope he heals and is better soon. Lots of doggie hugs your way!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry, Steph! I know exactly what it's like to have a pup that isn't being his normal self. So glad the surgery went well... what a sweet boy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment! I read every single one and they all mean so much to me!