Thursday, October 25, 2012

5 Years Cancer Free!

Today I got some news that I had been worried sick waiting for the past couple of days. You see, every 6 months my dad has to go for his cancer screenings to make sure the cancer is still gone. The big "C" word is not something I've mentioned on this blog before, since it isn't something we allowed to slow our family down, but now that we got the good news my dad is still cancer free, I will share with you a small part of this speed bump in the Rosa family history.

Five years ago, I was a junior at San Francisco State University, living on my own in a big city for the first time. I was kicking butt in school, thriving in my internship at ABC-7, and kicking down the door of the sports broadcasting industry. Nothing could stop me. Then I got a call that changed everything. My parents called all my sisters and I over to the house to tell us that something showed up at dad's doctor appointment. That something was cancer. They told us not to worry, that this was something he'd beat and the odds of survival are good. I heard the words but I wouldn't allow them to sink in. My dad is the strongest person in this world, how could this possibly be happening to him? He is the rock. The strength. The hard head. This couldn't be happening. I kept thinking that we need him around for many more years and many more milestones. We knew we had to do the only thing we could do: beat it. That was the only option.

I dealt with my shock and fear of the whole situation by spending hours and hours online obsessively researching things my dad could do to help fight the Hodgkin's Lymphoma he was diagnosed with. I found hope in my research since I learned it was one of the most treatable forms of cancer out there - and if you had to have it in your lifetime, this was the preferrable type. So my mom accompanied my dad to countless hours of chemo and radiation to try and kill the baseball size lumps he had in his chest. Throughout the entire painstaking process, he never missed a single day of work.

After several long, hard months, many sleepless nights, and a huge outpouring of love and support from our friends and family, my dad was finally proclaimed cancer free. Those have come to be some of my favorite words to hear. And thank God I heard them again this morning as he reached the 5 year cancer free milestone. Go dad! He seriously is the strongest, toughest, most determined person I know, so of course he beat it. He has too much to live for, and we need him around!
One of my favorite pictures from my wedding.
My mom and dad.
Dad and all his girls!
Since I was little, I've always signed all my letters and cards to my dad as his #1 fan. Because I am and I always will be. He's the best dad, grandpa, husband, and friend out there. He's my hero.
xo Steph

15 comments:

  1. So happy for you and your family! A great milestone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a great Milestone! Cheers to your dad for beating cancer and staying strong!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post warmed my heart. So happy to hear your daddy is doing great and is the big C free! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah-mazing news! And you were a gorgeous bride, but that doesn't surprise me :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steph, I am SO happy for you and your family! That is great that your dad is 5 years cancer free.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad to hear that your dad has been cancer free for so long! I actually just starting training for an 8K race through Team in Training, which is part of the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. I have been raising money in honor of a friend who was just diagnosed with non-hodgkins lymphoma. It is so inspiring to hear about people who have beat the disease!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awwwww. this made me tear up!

    This is great news, Steph! GOOO MIKE!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that last picture with all four girls. Congratulations to your dad on 5 years, that is AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOOHOO, Steph's daddy! Congratulations on 5 full years! <3 Here's hoping for a lifetime more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely had tears with this one. You are such a wonderful daughter. He is such a wonderful dad. Oh, boy you two are amazing. SO happy to hear this news. tons of love coming 'atcha! I owe you both a snowcone to celebrate this!!! xoxoxo'

    ReplyDelete
  11. So happy for your wonderful news!! Such beautiful photos of you and your Dad together :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mike has his special "guardian angel" looking over him.
    Love to all your family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is awesome! So glad that he's cancer free!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment! I read every single one and they all mean so much to me!