Monday, January 28, 2013

A heart-wrenching day.

It really is crazy how quickly everything can change. One minute you could be sitting at the kitchen counter on a lazy Sunday morning, chatting with your husband who is making breakfast, and posting a blog about how much fun you had in New York City. The next minute, you could turn around and see him doubled over in pain with tears in his eyes, and him asking you to take him to the hospital. This was our day yesterday, and it shook me to my core.

With tightness in his chest and his heart racing a million beats a minute, we hopped in the car to take Corey to the nearest Kaiser. After arriving at the "hospital," I knew something was wrong when the parking lot was completely empty. It was a Kaiser corporate building, and not a hospital at all. At this point, Corey was nearly hyperventilating, and as I fumbled to find the next closest emergency room, Corey said that I needed to call an ambulance right away. My fears kicked into overdrive, and I shakily called 9-1-1 to tell them my husband was having trouble breathing and that something was wrong with his heart.  

To see your big, tough husband so vulnerable and so scared was the worst feeling in the world. When we arrived in the emergency room, they informed Corey that his heart was in atrial fibrulation ("a-fib") and that they would need to stop his heart and re-start it again. There is nothing scarier than the possibility of your husband's heart being stopped and not starting again.

The scariest part of all is that this wasn't the first time we've had to do this.  This was the second time I watched doctors put tubes and pads and stickers all over my husband's body to prepare his heart to be "re-set." I just kept thinking that "this is not right. He's only 27 years old. This shouldn't be happening." It's hard to not let your mind wander and think the worst. But I need this man around for many, many more years. There is no way around it.

He is feeling better after the procedure, and is getting some rest for the next day or so. But I still worry every second about my big guy and his big heart. It really makes you realize how fragile life is, and never again will I rush Corey off the phone when he calls me at work while I'm in the middle of a million things. Family and love is all you really need in life... at the end of the day, nothing else matters.

To the things that really matter: health, love and happiness. The rest will work itself out.

13 comments:

  1. I have tears streaming down my face right now because I can't even imagine what you were feeling but I know exactly what you mean.

    I am so happy he is OK. Sending lots of prayers both of your ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! I am so sorry to hear this! I can't imagine! I will definitely keep you both in my prayers! You are loved, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad he's doing better. It must have been so scary!! Thanks for sharing some much needed perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, Stephanie! I'm so glad everything is OK. Thinking of you both!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, I'm so sorry to hear this Steph! That had to be the scariest thing. I'm so glad to hear that he is alright and hoping that this is the last time you have to go through that!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You and your hubs are in my thoughts and prayers. My Dad had a-fib a few years ago and it had to have been one of the most terrifying experiences of my life. Keep your head up, he is young and will recover quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG I;m so sorry to hear about this Steph! My prayers to you and Corey!

    ReplyDelete
  8. holy shit Steph! I am so so so so sorry! Good lord, I cannot imagine what that would be like. I am a total panicker so I would have been a mess. I am definitely praying for you and Corey and hope that this NEVER happens again.
    Sending you my love!

    xxooxxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad to hear he is doing okay!! So scary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness.. That would be very heart wrenching. I'm glad he's okay. Def makes you stop and think about everything differently.

    ReplyDelete
  11. that is scary, i'm glad to hear that he is on the mend. is there some underlying hear condition that they can correct so that he doesn't go through this again?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh!!How scary! I can only imagine how you were feeling the entire time. I'm glad he's back at home and doing better...did the doctors say anything about why it's happened twice now?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment! I read every single one and they all mean so much to me!