Thursday, April 18, 2013

Home Improvements

Since the day we moved in, our new house has been one big project after another. Not that it needed much work, but we've been putting our own spin on this little piece of property we now call home. I'd like to say it's been fun, but in all honesty, it's been a ton of work for us. And by us, I mostly mean Corey! Corey has seriously been Mr. Handyman lately, and he's poured his blood, sweat, and tears (ok, there haven't been any tears...yet!) into this house, and everything is really coming together! Here are a couple before and afters to show our progress...
Before...
This is what our house looked like when we first bought it. It still had its old, original shingle roof from the '70's, horrible baby blue wood siding, and god knows what kind of plants those are growing out of the old white rocks. But we could see the potential...
After...
This is what our house looks like now. New roof, tan stucco with stone trim, new light fixtures, and we removed all the rock and old plants. We still need to landscape the front yard, but first we are laying some more concrete by the door and the other side of the driveway, which we are currently working.
Ruby is a good little helper in the yard!
Before...
One of the first things we did was fill what was an old dirty, empty hole where a fireplace should be with a gas insert. I love sitting by the fire, so this was a top priority for me. 
After...
Now, I am absolutely in love with my cozy, remote-controlled fire. During the winter months, I had it on nearly every night. And now that it's almost summertime, I will still have it on almost every night (for ambiance, of course!).
Before...
It's tough to tell in this picture, but when we first moved in, there was a solid wall separating the living room and the dining room (in this picture, it's the wall to the left of the door way). It really interrupted the whole "flow" of the house, and we really wanted a more open space...
After...
So we cut that sucker in half, added a bar, a cabinet and some bar stools, and now we've got an open room with more seating.
Before...
Before, there wasn't anything at the end of the covered padio (on the left side of this picture), which created dilemma #1 for Corey: no place to hang a TV in the backyard. Problem solved...
After...
Since we were doing new stucco around the house, Uncle Craig and Corey framed a wall and the crew stuccoed it like it was always there. I'll admit, I wasn't a fan of the idea at first, but it's turned into a pretty cool setup out there. And yes, the makeshift shelf underneath the TV is yet another ongoing project!
 
Other projects on the to-do list include getting the pool up and running for the summer, decorating more on the inside of the house, creating a dog run on the side of the house for miss Ruby, installing a custom double door for the front entryway, and hanging a shower door in the guest bathroom. And those are just the short term projects!
It's true what they say... once you own a house, the work is never done!

14 comments:

  1. Girlfriendddd your updates are AMAZING!! I can't believe how much you've done in the short time you guys have had your place! It looks PERFECT!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh my goshhh this looks like the perfect party place! I'm coming to visit NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! You guys have made major improvements. Everything that you have done has added so much more to your house. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOAH! You guys did some awesome updates to your home! Come do mine whenever we buy a house? ;)
    -wHiT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your house looks great! Y'all have done so much to it! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! SO amazing. You realllys did see so much potential in this house. I dont know if I could have imagined all that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow! everything looks so good! you both have done so much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Steph! i am aaaaaaaamazed by everything you guys have done!!! you need to quit your job right now girlfriend and go into designing and become a contractor to manage THOSE projects. good work!!!!! hugs to you and corey!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahh so cool! I think the bar is my favorite I would have cut that wall too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Are you kidding me??? Your house is ridiculous! You guys have done an amazing job so far. Can I hire Corey please??

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was very encouraged to find this site. I wanted to thank you for this special read. I definitely savored every little bit of it.
    Estetik

    ReplyDelete
  12. You guys have done a great job!! Looks so good! I would be worried someone would steal the tv though!

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW! Your house looks great. I love the way you have presented the whole post. In-fact I loved each and everything you have shown here. Keep up the great work as it’s hard to find good blogs.
    Instant

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really noticed the new roof first! Hahah! You've done a great job on these renovations guys! I'm sure you've been enjoying your cozy and fabulous house. Hope you'll continue to take good care of this investment in the years to come. Thanks for sharing! :)

    Calvin Mordarski @ CityBlockTeam.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment! I read every single one and they all mean so much to me!