Thursday, October 31, 2013

Halloween 2013: Costume Party, Haunted House & Trick-or-Treating

Happy Halloween!

I love this time of year when the weather is changing and the holiday decorations come out of their dusty boxes. I've mentioned before that Halloween is my husband's favorite holiday, so we went all out this year with our first Halloween party, our annual visit to a new haunted house, and creating a cozy, creepy scene in our own house. 

This year is our first Halloween in our home, so I was so excited to decorate the house and make it spooky. I admit, I may have went a little overboard on the budget, but we started from scratch this year, and each year I can just get little things to add (that's what I keep telling myself atleast). Here is a little sneak peak at our spooky dwelling...
And yes, those are finger-shaped soaps in the bath room. Probably not necessary, but it's all in the details!

Building on the "Eat, Drink and Be Married" theme of our wedding, we decided to host our first annual Halloween Party, "Eat, Drink and Be Scary." I wasn't sure if people would be into the whole dressing up idea, so costumes were encouraged but not mandatory. And let me tell you, my family and friends blew me away with their amazing outfits! From my sister and her boyfriend dressing up as my mom and dad (they NAILED it! Silvio even called Pixie "Blondie" for the evening, which really brought it home), to my best friend's dad literally becoming Walt from Breaking Bad, everyone really played the part. And we LOVED it! It was such a good time and I was glad everyone was able to really get into the Halloween spirit.
Corey had been asking me to be Catwoman for years, so I figured it was time to make it happen :) P.S. How scary is his Bane costume?
Walt, "Mike & Michelle" and the Flintstones!
A Naked Butcher, Dexter, mini Batman, Goofy, Minnie and Mickie Mouse, a Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader, and even Ruby dressed up as a football player. 
Winners of our first ever costume contest. Their names have been "engraved" on the tombstone, which will be added to each year.

The costumes were so fantastic, it made all of the hours I spent on preparing appropriate "Halloween party" food more than worth it. I hit up pinterest for some inspiration and came up with an odd collection of appetizers, main dishes, and desserts. 
Pumpkin spew (guacamole), Ghostly Oreo Cupcakes, Eyeball Punch, Monster EyeBalls (Caprese), and the spread. (Not pictures are the oreo eye balls, which didn't last long, as well as the main courses: pulled pork sandwiches, coleslaw, chili, cornbread, and a green salad).

After all the fun and excitement of the Halloween party, Corey and I had to keep up our annual tradition of visiting a different haunted house every year. We went to the old Roseville fair grounds to Callson Manor, which was a pretty good scare. 
And yes, Corey is STILL wearing his Bane mask!
P.S. This is why you don't take pictures on a cell phone at night!

On Halloween night, we headed to one of the best neighborhoods in the area to take Brendan and Johnny trick-or-treating. It was such a cool Halloween experience with all the houses done up and so, so many kids in costumes lining the streets. I loved seeing the little ones come to the door and say "trick or treat" in their little voices, followed by a "say thank  you" from their parents. Brendan's version of it sounded more like "tick-test" but he was close! And the way he says PUNkin (pumpkin) melted my heart.
Silvio's family was so kind to have us over for Halloween. The decorations were amazing and I loved his mom's tooth fairy outfit! (She's a dentist in real life!)

 Love Johnny's thumbs up!
I got the boys glow sticks, which they liked to chew on more than anything else. 
 LOVED all the decorations at the Lovatti's house!

We had 1,600 Capri Suns for trick or treaters and believe it or not, we ran out! The steady line of kids was unbelievable. We had never seen anything like this in our neighborhood, so it was a very cool experience!
After trick-or-treating, the boys had some play time with Mimi. They are getting so big!

My little Mickey and Batman made my day and made this Halloween one of our best yet. 

Hope you all are having a happy and safe Halloween!
xoxo Steph

3 comments:

  1. How fun! It looks like your party was a hit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a blast! You throw a fantastic party girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy smokes you went ALL out! Looks like way too fun. And what? 1600 Capri suns!? That is insane, you must live in a hot spot :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment! I read every single one and they all mean so much to me!